Installing New AC Units in Charlottesville and Staunton Since 1978
Coping with summer in Staunton requires a dependable and functioning central AC system. It’s even better if that cooling unit is also clean and energy efficient. After all, no one likes throwing money out the window. But it’s difficult for an AC unit to perform its best when its original installation was flawed. That’s where Boyers comes in.
Our customer-focused HVAC company is deeply dedicated to providing comfort in the Staunton area—a fact easily correlated by our 45 years of service. In that time, we’ve replaced hundreds of old air conditioners with new, more-efficient ones. Through this, we’ve helped your friends and neighbors shave hundreds off their utility bills. In other words, if you’re in the market for an AC replacement in Charlottesville, we’re the local HVAC company you can trust.
We get the job done right the first time, and it’s not done until you’re five-star satisfied. If you receive anything less than perfect service, we invite you to call us at (540) 949-7639. We’ll set things right.
Signs That It’s Time for a New AC
We understand the urge to put off AC replacement. It’s expensive and inconvenient. It's also not something most people in Staunton bother to budget for it. The idea of helping your air conditionerhobble along a little longer is tempting. But, eventually, it’ll have to be replaced. Below are a few signs that your current AC unit is nearing the end of its service life:
- Skyrocketing Utility Bills: Older air conditioning systems in Staunton are inefficient and often struggle to reach peak efficiency. As time goes on, it’ll take more and more money to cool your home. If you notice a sudden uptick in cost, a major system breakdown is often on the horizon.
- Old Refrigerants: Older refrigerants damage the climate and have been replaced with newer, more eco-friendly ones. Due to this, though that old AC in Staunton may still be working, replacing the refrigerant in case of a leak may no longer be a cost-effective option. In some cases, you might not be able to find a refill at all.
- The Unit Never Shuts Off: Though it’s normal for your AC unit to run more during hot weather, failing air conditioners often struggle to reach target temperatures. This often leads to them constantly running, even during mild weather. If you notice your air conditioner in Staunton staying on longer than usual, it's a good sign that AC maintenance or replacement is necessary.
- We're on a First-Name Basis: Even though we love our customers, those who make more than one repair call a season may be better off replacing their air conditioner. Like dominoes, components tend to fail in sequence. This often ends with a catastrophic failure or a recommendation for total AC replacement. Since quotes are free, there's no reason not to call for a quote on new air conditioner installation in Charlottesville or Staunton.
- Age: With proper maintenance, the average air conditioner can last over 15 years. But if yours is nearing that age, it’s often more economical to replace it. The U.S. Department of Energy estimates utility savings of between 20 and 40 percent after replacing an old unit.
If you notice any of these symptoms, place a call to (540) 949-7639 right away! Tackling the issue head on can mean you end up with a bill for AC repair in Staunton and can put off getting a new unit a little longer. Waiting, meanwhile, is likely to lead to snowballing and worse issues down the road.
How We Determine and Install the Proper AC Unit
One of the biggest causes of wasteful air conditioners is improper sizing and installation. A lot of AC repair calls in Staunton could have been prevented with a little bit of forethought. That's why Boyers takes time to properly determine your home's specific needs. We also will recommend things like air handlers, air filtration systems, and zoning up front to save you money on overall installation and operating costs.
Before replacing your AC system, we conduct a load calculation to determine the proper size of the replacement unit. We also take a look at your duct work and determine if any repairs are needed. When the number crunching ends, we present you with an AC installation quote.
In it, we price out everything from new condensers to updated drain lines and updated thermostats. We will also take time to discuss your budget and explore rebate, financing, and coupon options.
When done, we’ll have a proposal that ensures the system installed meets you and your family’s needs. Once all the paperwork is signed, our HVAC expert will take down your appointment preferences and get you scheduled. We look forward to adding you to our list of satisfied customers in the Staunton area.
Exploring the AC Replacement Process
The time has arrived to replace or install your new air conditioning system. It's a big day. Many homeowners aren’t sure what to expect on AC installation day. How long will it take? Is there anything you need to do to prepare for AC replacement in Staunton? To help ease your concerns, here is how Boyers gets the job done:
- We provide an initial quote on new AC installation
- We’ll call to remind you of the appointment and request that your pets be contained
- Our technician pulls on booties and lays down dropcloths to protect your floors
- Any items in the way will be moved to prevent potential damage
- The AC installer will measure everything a second time
- We break down your old equipment and load it up for recycling
- Our technician will bring in your new air conditioner
- Refrigerant lines are attached to your main power source
- The power switch is flipped and the unit tested
After the initial test, our HVAC technician will do a few temperature checks to make sure everything is performing as expected. When diagnostics are complete, they’ll pick up their tools and remove the floor coverings. Then you, in renewed comfort, can flop back in the armchair.
What if I Need AC in a Newly Built Home?
First, let’s start with a congratulations! We hope your new home is everything you dreamed of. Our local HVAC company is proud to work with a number of home builders and remodelers in the Staunton area. So, we're often called upon to design and install new-build systems.
The process for installing a new AC system in Staunton is similar to replacing one. The same calculations are made and the same steps taken to prevent safety issues. The main difference comes during the set-up process. When a clean installation happens, we’ll also be responsible for designing a properly functioning system of ductwork. Because it’s a new build, there’s open access and no old air conditioner requiring disposal.
Need a new air conditioner? Call (540) 949-7639
now to request an estimate on AC replacement in Staunton. Financing is available, with approved credit!
Why Boyers is the Right Choice for AC Installation in Staunton
If you want your new AC unit installed correctly, you can’t go wrong with Boyers 72 Degrees. We’ve been helping people in the Staunton area cool their homes for over 45 years. This experience means we have the expertise necessary to properly install and configure a variety of HVAC systems. When you work with us, you get an air conditioner prepared to reach the end of its lifespan. Our simplified installation process helps make your install experience stress-free.
Give us a call at (540) 949-7639 for a free quote on AC installation in Waynesboro or Staunton.
AC Replacement and Installation FAQs
It typically does! Replacing or installing a new air conditioner in Staunton can raise your home's value by as much as 10 percent. This value depends on the efficiency and features of the new unit. In some markets, you can't even sell a home that doesn't have a cooling system installed. So, even if you plan to sell in the near future, you might want to consider footing the bill for an updated air conditioner.
A lot of homeowners think that bigger is better when it comes to air conditioning in Staunton. But that's not true. While an oversized air conditioner will cool your house more quickly, it will use more electricity to do so. It'll also struggle to remove the humidity from the air. Though you might not like your AC unit in Staunton running for hours on end, long cycles are better for your wallet and home than short ones.
Air conditioners have both interior and exterior components. Some homeowners in Staunton think replacing just one of those is a great way to reduce AC repair and installation costs. It's not. Having mismatched components can lead to frequent repairs, higher energy bills, and reduced efficiency. Though the price tag might look scary, doing both sides of your cooling system will ultimately save you money.
We suggest you get multiple quotes on AC replacement in Waynesboro or Staunton. This is the best way to ensure you get a fair deal. Do note, however, that you need to be comparing apples to apples. Does the other company offer a warranty as good as ours? Is the unit as good? How long have they been in business? You will need to keep these things in mind as you make your decision. We invite you to check out our financing page and special offers page to see what kind of deals we're currently offering.
While you might be tempted to repair or install your own air conditioner in Staunton, you shouldn't. There's a lot that goes into sizing, installing, and testing an air conditioner. Beneath that shell, there are a number of electronic and chemical components. Tinkering with these can lead to injuries and even death. So, unless you have the proper certifications, we suggest leaving AC replacement in Staunton to the HVAC experts at Boyers 72 Degrees.
As mentioned earlier, once your air conditioner gets past 10 or 15 years old, it's time to start budgeting for a new one. Like with a lot of other products, HVAC equipment pricing is cyclical. For better AC deals, start shopping early before summer hits its stride. When winter temperatures start breaking toward spring, a lot of local HVAC contractors may be slower and scheduling is a lot easier. It's also a period where many financing deals are offered. For Virginia, this means anywhere from February to April.
Shopping for a pair of shoes online is one thing. Trying to purchase a new AC unit in Staunton is another. You should always get a quote from a licensed HVAC contractor. They have the skills needed to properly measure your home to calculate the equipment that is optimal for your dynamics. There are a few things, however, we recommend to everyone:
- Make sure the contractor installs equipment from a well-regarded brand
- If you're not selling your home, invest in something more energy efficient
- Ask about included warranties
There's no universal answer to this question. Every home in Staunton is different. Things like local codes, square footage, building materials, drafts, wall direction, and even homeowner association rules can affect selection of the installation area. For that reason, there's no secret formula to picking the right spot. We recommend looking for:
- Shady Areas: In Staunton it's helpful to try and keep air conditioners cool as well. So, if posssible, we typically place it on the north or east side of your home. If that isn't an option, it can also be placed under a leafy tree.
- Somewhere Away from Pets: Dogs and other animals like to pee on air conditioners and chew on connections. The refrigerants and metals can be harmful to your pets. Over time, urine can eat through the fan blades. If you don't have a sheltered area, we recommend surrounding it with a fence or shrubs to limit animal access.
- Places with Grass or Mulch: Most air conditioners in Staunton are placed on concrete or PVC slabs. These radiate heat back up toward the unit. The added heat can make the unit work harder to cool your home. If there's no grass or mulch around the best location, we might recommend adding some.
At the end of the day, however, the best way to find the perfect spot is to reach out to Staunton's AC service experts—Boyers.
A simple AC replacement and installation in Staunton typically takes between four and six hours. This estimate may increase if the installation team has to flush the line or add brackets. If you want a more accurate estimate of how long it'll take to put in your new AC unit, just ask our technician. They will be happy to walk you through the process.
If you're willing to invest in ductwork and design adjustments, any home in Staunton can enjoy the benefits of central air. But, before you call your local building contractor, give (540) 949-7639 a jingle first. We'll not only walk you through the installation process, but we'll help you explore alternative cooling options as well. Things like ductless mini-splits, whole house fans, evaporative coolers, and heat pumps may be able to give you many of the same benefits at a lower upfront cost.